Following the announcement of new directives from the President of the Republic, the President of the Ghana Catholic Bishops Conference has issued further directives and below is the directive:
To all Archbishops, Bishops, Priests and the Lay Faithful,
FURTHER DIRECTIVES ON THE CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) PANDEMIC FROM THE GHANA CATHOLIC BISHOPS CONFERENCE
I send you the Season’s greetings from the National Catholic Secretariat, Accra.
Following the address of the President of the Republic of Ghana, His Excellency Nana Akufo-Addo at 10pm on Sunday March 15, 2020 in which new directives were issued on the Coronavirus Pandemic, the Ghana Catholic Bishops’ Conference urge full compliance as follows:
- All Public Masses be suspended for the next four weeks
- All Public Spiritual Programmes such as retreats, devotions, meetings, confessions, pilgrimages etc. be suspended for the next four weeks
- All Catholic Schools be closed until further notice as directed
- All funerals and weddings should be suspended for the next four weeks
- That burials may be performed but with not more than 25 people in attendance We also recommend the following:
- That daily private Masses should be offered for God’s intervention with not more than five people in attendance
- That Churches and adoration chapels be opened for private prayers by parishioners. Please, do well to observe the required distance of two meters and pray in silence.
- That where possible, live streaming of Masses should be encouraged to enable the faithful receive spiritual Communion
- We exhort all Catholics and people of faith to intensify individual and family prayers and encourage all to read the daily Mass readings and reflections provided on several social media platforms.
In addition to the above recommendations, we urge all Ghanaians to keep observing the basic precautionary measures that will help minimize the spread of the virus as well as protect oneself from being infected with Covid-19.
May our Lady, Mother of the Church and Health of the sick intercede for us and the whole world. Amen.
ISSUED ON MONDAY, MARCH 16, 2020